Religious Exploration (RE) – January 2020 – Happy New Year!
December brought a variety of children to RE programs, children of guest speakers as well as children of regularly attending members and friends. We threw ourselves into holiday activities – decorating a gingerbread house, creating paper chains for the holiday tree, painting ornaments and preparing special snacks to raise funds for Heifer International. The February newsletter will have the final tally of funds raised to purchase animals through this project.
Our schedule for RE includes:
- Weekly RE program on Sundays: Children join adults in the main hall for the first portion the service, either seated with their parents or doing quiet activities at the children’s table near the side kitchen door. Children typically leave for a scheduled program after the Story for All Ages although they may be invited to stay for special services.
- Children ages 4 and up are in a multi-age group with activities and discussion that follows the monthly Soul Matters theme, drawing in concepts from the UU principles. Parents will receive ideas from Soul Matters of activities to do at home related to each theme.
- Young Children – infants to age 3 are in nursery/toddler care with Sarah Graff and a church volunteer. Please connect with Kathy Squires if you would like to volunteer on occasion in the nursery. If there are no children in the nursery, which has been the case during the past few months, Sarah will assist the multi-age group as noted above.
- Monthly Sunday breakfasts co-sponsored with the Membership Committee are held on the first Sunday of the month. All are invited to attend and/or contribute to these meals.
- Monthly Pizza & Activity nights are a new feature which invites people of all ages who wish to enjoy food and fun together. Although the December pizza party was cancelled due to icy roads we are hopeful that January weather will cooperate. Other special events are scheduled to bring together families and others in the congregation.
January events include:
- RE Theme: “Integrity.” The teaching schedule is still being created. Linda Hay will lead an activity about the Web of Life and Leslie Kinney will make chalices with the children which they can take home to celebrate the return of light with their families.
- Sunday, 1/5/20 – Breakfast @ 9 AM with a variety of breakfast items to nourish our bodies before we begin our 10 AM service to nourish our spirits and souls. Breakfast donations are most welcome! If you missed the January 1st pancake breakfast (or even if you attended), please join us around the Sunday breakfast table.
- Friday, 1/17/20 – Pizza & Games! Why cook at home when you can spend a fun evening with All Souls friends sharing pizza and playing some silly or highly competitive games? This is an event for all ages.
February 2020 & Beyond… We will explore the theme of Resilience in February and Wisdom in March. Special events will include Pizza & Legos Night on 2/21/20.
Please contact Kathy Squires, Linda Hay, Leslie Kinney, Rose Mangum, Beth McKinney or Marty Shaw if you have ideas for RE, would like to be a nursery volunteer, help with a breakfast or get involved with the committee. The next planning meeting will be 1/2/20 @ 5 PM. The RE program provides opportunities to get to know one another across generations, explore the richness of our UU faith and discover the joy of congregational involvement.