Religious Exploration (RE) – April 2019: Welcoming families and children of all ages to explore the richness of our UU faith and build connections with one another.
March is supposed to “come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.” Certainly the early part of the month was “lion-like” with weather that cancelled church services and RE. Teachers and children experienced colds so participation varied week to week. Nevertheless, we persisted with our theme of journey with some interesting conversations, stories and a journey to explore the nooks and crannies of the church building.
This month the theme from SoulMatters asks us to consider, “What does it mean to be a people of wholeness?” We will think about being and expressing our whole selves and we will reflect on the practice of inclusivity so that we can be a community of wholeness. Each class includes a chalice lighting, moment of meditation, story or song, theme-based
activity and a closing circle. Sarah Graff provides nursery care for our youngest children when they are present. She joins the older children and teachers in the
classroom when there are no little ones.
We are mixing up our rotation of volunteer teachers. Occasionally we switch off or our substitutes (Kathy, Linda H. and Marty) fill in for a teacher. Our anticipated rotation for the coming weeks:
• 4/7 – Nikki & Tony
• 4/14 – Tony & Rose
• 4/21 – Rose, Leslie & Kathy – Easter Egg Hunt!
• 4/28 – Leslie & Beth
• 5/5 – Beth & Nikki
• 5/12 – Nikki & Tony
• 5/19 – Tony & Rose
- Sunday, April 7th @ 9 AM – Breakfast at All Souls – Don’t forget to join your ASC friends for breakfast on this first Sunday of the month before the service. Offerings include quiches, breakfast casseroles, sausages, muffins, fruit, gluten-free and vegetarian items – plus coffee! We welcome other contributions of food items and volunteer help to set up or clean up. This event is sponsored by the RE and Membership Committees.
- Saturday, April 13 – Leap into Spring Fair at All Souls Church – 10 AM – 3 PM – This event will delight all ages. Spring crafts, starter plants, garden books, workshops, baked goods and lunch! An activity table will be available for children to create centerpieces and other home decorations out
of natural materials.
- Tuesday, April 16 – Hike, Pizza and Egg Decorating Party – During school vacation week All Souls friends of all ages are invited to participate in a fun-filled afternoon. Join us for part or all of the events noted below. Contact Kathy Squires (kathyksquires [at] gmail.com).
- 2 PM – meet at the Marina parking lot for a stroll on the West River Trail
- 3:30 – return to or meet us at the church to decorate eggs and play games
- 5:00 – join us for pizza supper
If you would like to get involved with RE activities on a one-time or ongoing basis or have ideas to share please contact our convener Kathy Squires or any committee member: Marty Shaw, Linda Hay, Leslie Kinney, Nikki Holland, Justin Berenguel, Tony Parmenter, Rose Mangum or Beth McKinney. Our next committee meeting is Thursday, 4/11 at 4 PM.
“He drew a circle that shut me out-
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle and took him in!”
– Edwin Markham